The Hieno! is the official partner of the Finland100 independence programme, endorsed by the Prime Minister’s Office in Finland.
Preface: “Home is where the heart is”.
In recent years, globalisation has brought about greater discourse regarding the implications of “immigration” and “multiculturalism” in Finland.
For globalisation is not without fear, uncertainty and tension. For one, native Finns might be wary and unsure of the sudden influx of a culturally-diverse group of foreigners. With increased mobility, some natives might stay abroad for a few years, only to return to discover that they aren’t considered “true Finns” anymore. With increased tension and difficulties in integration, some migrants might sometimes feel discouraged while staying in Finland too.
In 2017, Finland will celebrate its 100 years of independence. Without a doubt, the meaning of “Finnish-ness” has been defined and re-defined over the past 100 years. What is the current interpretation of “Finnish-ness”? Moving forward, how do we want to (re-) conceptualise “Finnish-ness” with all its possible challenges?
This series is specially curated in a positive, inclusive and constructive manner to illuminate the challenges, possible solutions, hopes and wishes of people who love Finland.
Through the stories of these 35 special people from various walks of life–including entrepreneurs, young Finns, foreigners, politicians, innovators, thought-leaders, designers and educators–we listen to their stories and feel their hearts for Finland.
We welcome nominations! If you know a person who has inspired you into loving Finland more, feel free to email us at email@example.com! #thehienosuomi100
The 35 Interviewees
- [Cosmopolitan working-adult] Interview with Carol Chen: The professional geek and amateur musician.
- [Journalist] Interview with Enrique Tessieri: Journalist, sociologist, and editor at Migrant Tales.
- [Young Finn] Interview with Dexter He: A young Finnish expat working in Asia.
- [Youtube Guru] The very dangerous interview with Lauri, founder of the Hydraulic Press Channel.
- [Senior Blogger] A heartfelt sharing on what Finland 100 means to Matti, of Sartenada.
- [Professor] Interview with Professor Alf Rehn, an accomplished academic and internationally ranked thought-leader in innovation and creativity.
- [Young Finn] Interview with Emma Sjölund: a young lady with a deep passion for compelling contents, languages and outdoor activities.
- [Young mother] Interview with Mika, a Japanese working mom in Finland.
- [Finnish activist] Interview with Olli Lukkari, a Finn who wears many hats!
- [Finnish politician] Interview with Pekka Haavisto, one of the kindest and most peace-loving Finnish politician.
- [Finnish blogger] Interview with Veera Bianca, a wanderluster and influencer marketing wizard.
- [Finnish politician] Interview with Husu, the very popular and eloquent Finnish politician.
- [Professor] Interview with Professor Gareth Rice: academic, journalist and social critic.
- [President of the Singaporean Association in Finland] Interview with the very energetic Lilian Neo!
- [Student in Finland] Interview with Tung, a fiesty young film maker from Vietnam who is currently based in Helsinki.
- [Finnish ambassador to Singapore] Interview with Her Excellency Paula Parviainen, our favorite ambassador!
- [Idealist/ innovator] Interview with Saku Tuominen, entrepreneur, innovator, creative director, executive producer, author, keynote speaker.
- [Designer] All about shoes and bunnies: Interview with Minna Parikka.
- [Finnish designers/ weavers] Interview with Jaana and Esko, owners of Lapuan Kankurit.
- [Finnish lawyer] Interview with the very wise Jukka Autio, managing partner of Finnish Law and Economy Ptd Ltd.
- [Representative from Helsinki Airport] Interview with Katja Siberg, Vice President of Marketing and Business Development at Finavia.
- [Young Finnish researcher] Interview with Matti William Karinen.
- [Foodies!!] Interview with Galith and Ofer, founders of Hungry in Helsinki.
- [Finnish millennials and digital natives] Interview with Otto and Alex, a creative duo!
- [Evolutionary psychology researcher] Interview with Dr. Ed Dutton, a Religious Studies and evolutionary psychology researcher based in Oulu.
- [Finnish fashion marketer] Interview with Eero Böök, a slightly mysterious Finnish gentleman.
- [A Scotsman in Finland!] Interview with the very charismatic Peter Seenan.
- [Our most-loved Female President!] Inspirations from President Tarja Halonen.
- [The Finnish Super Warrior] Interview with Mikko Hypponen, CRO at F-Secure.
- [Branding Professor] Interview with Professor Kirsti Lindberg-Repo, initiator of Design Finland 100.
- [Inspiring social entrepreneur] Interview with Josephine Atanga, founder of WODESS.
- [The super talented visual creative] Interview with Michaela Istokova, designer of The Hieno! Suomi 100 official e-book.
A note on curation.
As much as possible, we try to include authentic and diverse perspective on “What is Finnish-ness”.
This particular “racist” interview was excluded from the Suomi 100 series after many people complained that it constitutes as “hate speech”. We have decided to publish a heavily censored version, and you can find the uncensored version elsewhere on the web.
Resources for young people/ expats/ immigrants in Finland.
- The importance of signing a contract in Finland before starting work, or whenever money is involved.
- My personal story: The unfortunate incident of dealing with a Finnish “client”.
- Know your rights as employees–Don’t be exploited in Finland! Interview with Finnish lawyers on the Employment law in Finland.